Starting New Projects The 7Ps and 7Ds
By - Navneet Bhushan
Starting New Projects
A very consistent opinion of a large number of experienced people is that good managers are not necessarily good leaders, i.e. not all good managers are good leaders. This somehow has been construed in popular memes that propagate in our social consciousness, that good managers definitely cannot be good leaders. This is definitely incorrect. One can, in my opinion, be a good leader and good manager at the same time. One of the traits of good leaders is that they create and pursue “the new”. Typically pursuance of new is risky. However, we know, people who create and pursue the new, create the change. As per M.K. Gandhi, “they become the change that they want to see in the world” they pursue new ideas.
What one should have, if one really wants to pursue an idea? If you want to start something new - you should have 7 Ps.
7Ps of starting something new
The 7 parameters can be developed if we believe in ourselves. We can become the initiators of new projects. However, we should look at each new project through the lens of these 7 parameters.
1. Passion Long term sustainability will require passion - Passion creates a momentum in you that overcomes all possible naysayers and inertias of why something will not work.
2. Patience Take it that there will be delays, difficulties and outright demeaning people - with smiles that mean mockery - however please also remember - each such smile also hides a fear - fear of "if you succeed..." then those smiles have to become awe ... To override all these smiles - build patience in your system.
3. Perseverance King Bruce and the spider the story will start making complete sense to you - there is no other method than learning from the spider - on rebuilding your net - again and again even if you keep on failing.
4. Planning is actually an essential activity. The leaders understand it, pure idea guys do not. I suggest a minimum level of planning is essential. Prepare a key list of activities and follow up on them over a period of time.
5. Pride is something that I learnt recently. Initially, I somehow never thought about pride in doing what you are starting. However, actually pride in doing the change is so important that it can actually lead you to build on other Ps. Originally I had 5Ps later I added two more Ps - Purpose and Planet.
6. Purpose is the main starting point. It has to come from within, the purpose of what you want to create.
7. Planet is the key to defining your purpose. If the purpose is not aligned with the planet Earth - the Nature - it will not lead to a sustainable venture or a successful creation of change that you want to create.
So if you want to create change in the world that you want to see - build on the 7Ps!
After 7Ps, the parameters that will make you start the New, comes the actual process of doing it, I propose the 7Ds of Doing.
7Ds of how to do something new
1. Discover - Your business, your market, your social network, your project, your customers or even yourself. This springs from your purpose within the constraints of the Planet in 7Ps.
Use 7P 7D Model of starting on your idea! Believe me it is doable as I am doing it. You can start new projects besides managing the projects through the 7P 7D framework.