Voice of Volunteers
Being a volunteer helps in improvisation of problem solving skills, networking, development of creative abilities and discovery of inner passion and purpose.
A volunteer feedback session is anytime a valuable addition to an organization as it reaches out to every participant ensuring their voice is heard which is critical in determining the program’s impact.
PMI Bangalore India Chapter hosted ‘The Voice of Volunteers’ session on 3rd April 2021 with the tagline ‘Let us collaborate and share our thoughts on volunteering’.
Collecting volunteer feedback is one of the best ways to empower volunteers, improve their volunteering experience and reinforce retention.
The event attended by senior management, new chapter members; active volunteers as well as prospective volunteers served a great purpose of gathering data and analyzing volunteer programs.
The active volunteers shared their experience and provided valuable information regarding the numerous events being organized by the Chapter.
The discussion drew attention towards PMI’s Volunteer Relationship Management System (VRMS) as a searchable, integrated and centralized volunteer application available to current and prospective volunteers and which improves the process and user experience for members to interact with PMI.
The session received vital feedback including the challenges faced and suggestions for strengthening the volunteer program.
The highlights of the discussion are as below:
- Promotion of volunteer activities as part of Welcome email when a member joins the Chapter.
- To streamline volunteering activities, an option in VRMS for setting one’s preference is available. An automatic notification is sent for matching opportunities thereby reducing effort of scouting for openings.
- Time lag between offering a volunteer opportunity and the actual start of activities to be reduced and an induction /orientation session to be planned and organized effectively.
- Active on-boarding of a volunteer and subsequent connection with the portfolio owners needs to be addressed in a timely way once a member accepts an opportunity.
- Volunteering kits – Are generally handed out during in-person meetings but owing to the current situation can be physically collected if the volunteer visits the chapter office.
The volunteering portfolio team thanks everyone for their valuable inputs and will work on the feedback received.
The Chapter looks forward to more active volunteer participation in supporting its exciting and enriching journey.